Wednesday, April 8, 2015

MULA Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria

Located in the new Blackstone District, MULA Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria (3932 Farnam Street) is Omaha’s newest authentic Mexican restaurant and tequila bar. Happy Hour is ALL DAY Monday and 2p-6p Tuesday - Friday. Specials include discounted starters ranging from salsa of the day to rolled tacos, as well as discounted margaritas and drinks. Tap beer is $1 off and 1 oz tequila & mezcal shots are ½ priced. They also offer $2 tacos on Tuesday (with the exception of their machaca and camaron options) and tequilas of the day.


I loved the interior of MULA. Plenty of seating and sun. I wish they had a patio but their location on the corner of 40th and Farnam makes that hard. Had the feel of a hipster taqueria which is something I would expect from the Blackstone area. Service was prompt and our food came out quickly and piping hot. I had a bit of a snafu with my taco order but my waitress fixed the situation and didn’t charge me for the mix up resulting in an extra taco to review.


Of course I had to try the Mula margarita ($4: camarena reposado, house limonada). This marg was super fresh and strong as steel. I had two and may or may not have fallen asleep when I got home (sitting next to the full length window in the sun may have contributed though). This was so good I may never try their strawberry one (maybe).



I also ordered the sope ($3: masa cake, carnitas, black beans, house crema, cabbage, cotija) which was delicious. Everything complimented each other perfectly. As it is a masa cake it was a bit dry but adding a bit of the house made verde salsa they bring to your table fixed that immediately. The carnitas were tender but I do wish the black beans would have been a bit more flavorful. Also the radishes they garnished it with weren’t my cup of sangria but I don’t like radishes ever.




The guac of the day on this Tuesday was their house option ($4: white onion, garlic, cumin & cilantro) which is made to order. This guac was super fresh and the right consistency. The fact that it’s made to order earns them points as my mother who visited with me is allergic to cilantro. She simply requested it be left off. The guac was still flavorful; the exclusion of the cilantro didn’t affect quality or taste. The chips are handmade and fried which was great and they were still warm when they arrived at our table. Thicker than most house made chips which I liked and not super oily.



Now for Taco Tuesday which is what brought me here in the first place. I originally ordered the chicken tinga (chipotle adobo chicken, avocado, house crema, cotija) and the baja fish (crispy cerveza battered cod, house crema, dressed slaw) tacos but accidentally got the carnitas taco (coca-cola braised Michoacan pork, onion & cilantro mix) instead. When I noticed my waitress got me my chicken tinga taco and didn’t charge for the carnitas one. I loved all the tacos I tried but the tinga was hands down my favorite. The fresh slice of avocado put it over the edge. The runner up was the baja as the fish was super hot and fresh, as well as not super greasy. Most people will probably complain that you only get one taco for $2 and they aren’t the biggest thing on the block but that’s par for the course at most “hipper” authentic mexican restaurants. These also don’t come covered in “cheese” or traditional “sour cream” because they are authentic mexican tacos. The ingredients alone make these worth the money for me.





I give MULA 5 smiles. I will be back for another Taco Tuesday and probably on a random Monday for both the food and drink. Everything from the salsas they bring to your table to the little “plates” they bring your tacos out on differentiate MULA from your mom and pop taco shop but they manage to hold on to the taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment