Wednesday, November 12, 2014

National HH Day spotlight: The Starlite Lounge (Lincoln, NE)

One of my favorite parts of Lincoln’s Historic Haymarket: The Starlite Lounge (247 N. 8th Street, Ste. 101, Lincoln) is basically the basement of Buzzard Billy’s (same owners). It’s definitely a blast from the past evoking visions of the Rat Pack and Marilyn Monroe. This “hidden” gem offers classic lounge music, top shelf hooch and a quirky atmosphere. Reverse Happy Hour is Tuesday and Wednesday from 10p-midnight with $2 domestic draws, $3 micro brews, $2.50 premium rails and $2 off all martinis. They also offer a Friday Happy Hour from 4p-7p with the same drink specials (Friday bonus: free appetizers from 5p-7p).


I absolutely LOVE Starlite. Whether it’s the fact that it’s a basement so phone service is iffy at best, forcing you to interact with your friends or the loners at the bar; the fact that they stay true to their 50’s/60’s theme (I love me a good themed anything) from the decor, music and waitstaff uniform (all black dress shirt and pants, cool colored ties for men and women); or their amazing (and strong) cocktails this is the perfect place for a midweek late night date or to catch up with friends at the end of the work week. Friday’s HH is definitely their busy time but you can normally still snag a table or spot at the bar. I like to go on Fridays to blow off a bit of steam and to get free apps! And while they aren’t much to write home about (think freezer aisle bites you can cook in your oven) they are 1) free and 2) great at offsetting the super strong drinks Starlite serves. Trust me, you should eat the apps.




I always start and recommend getting an Audrey Hepburn ($4.50: Pama Pomegranate Liqueur, Rangpur & St. Germaine. And ALWAYS get it with champagne) one of Starlite’s most popular martinis. I have recently converted to the “martinis shouldn’t be flavored” camp but I can’t give these up. I don’t know if its the champagne or just my lingering love for “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” and “Roman Holiday” but an Audrey is always a winner. You can’t talk Starlite without talking about this drink. It is also the strongest “flavored” martini I’ve ever had.



The second reason I gravitate towards Starlite are their premium wells and the fact that they stock ginger ale! (If I have to drink another Jameson/Jack/Bulleit and Sierra Mist/Sprite/7-Up I will scream.) I can get a strong Beam and Ginger for just $2.50. If you don’t think that’s a deal well I need to come hang where you hang. Thank you Starlite for not making me drink bottom shelf bourbon/whiskey just to get HH pricing.



I can’t give Starlite Lounge anything but 5 smiles. This is the place you take someone on their first visit to Lincoln. This is where you get the best HH prices for the quality drinks they serve. This is where you can admit you like the little tacos from the freezer aisle that you warm up in the oven. This is the best Haymarket HH I’ve been to since moving here in 2009 (although I couldn't "legally" drink until 2011).


*Note: While it isn’t “technically” a HH Starlite also has Throwback Thursday with drink specials ($2 domestic draws, $3 micro brews, $3 premium rails, $3 margaritas and $3 drink specials), free appetizers beginning at 8p, and Retro 50’s and 60’s trivia at 9p.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete