Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Vino Mas (West Omaha)

Slightly beyond the hustle and bustle of 145th and Maple, Vino Mas (14450 Eagle Run Dr, Omaha) is a cozy wine retailer offering weekly tastings, over 16 wines and 20 beers and an impressive wine club. Happy Hour is Monday - Thursday and Saturday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. House wines are $5 which range from Sauv Blanc and Riesling to Cabernet and Malbec. Small bites like pretzels and hummus or cheese plates are also $1 off.

Vino Mas has the cozy wine store feel downpat while also providing enough seating strategically placed for small groups to unwind with some wine. Their outside patio is slightly small but I blame that more on location, the complex they’re in has very little outdoor space. Wine “accessories” intertwine the wine racks and the checkout counter/bar is large enough for their wine tastings. The staff is very friendly and helpful in picking just the right wine for your enjoyment.

When asked if I preferred red or white I answered both, but I lean more towards white wines in warmer weather. We settled on the Loscano Torrontes ($5: Argentina- aromas of pineapple, peach and orange. Flavors profile: lychee, tropical fruits, jasmine and spice). This isn’t a sweet wine, so if you don’t like dry I’d recommend their Riesling. Very crisp and hints of the jasmine comes out on the finish.



I also tried the dip and chips ($5.95: creamy spinach dip with gluten free flax, quinoa, chia and brown rice popcorn chips). I was disappointed that the dip wasn’t my preferred oven baked melty cheese kind but the pop out of the fridge version. That being sad the brand they use is better than most of the ones I’ve tried. I also really enjoyed the popcorn chips, despite how healthy they were. Vino Mas doesn’t appear to have a kitchen so I give them a pass.


I also tried the Rotari Sparkling Rosé ($5: Italy- light touches of peach, cranberry and pink grapefruit segue to creamy foam and warm touches of baked bread). I enjoy rosé during the summer, basically the best of the reds I love with a lighter touch. This was by far the driest rose I’ve ever drank. The sparkling component was enjoyable and the cranberry notes hit me the hardest but I probably wouldn’t re-try.


I give Vino Mas 4 stars. I enjoyed the atmosphere and they had a good variety of wines to try. Would like a little bit more variety in the small plate offerings, especially since they have to compete with Blue Sushi being right next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment