Thursday, August 20, 2015

Dudley's Pizza & Tavern

Located next to Aksarben Cinema in Aksarben Village, locally owned and operated Dudley’s Pizza & Tavern (2110 S 67th Street, Omaha) offers great pizza and friendly service. Happy Hour is Monday - Friday 3:00pm to 6:00 pm and Reverse HH is 9:00pm to close everyday. Specials include $1 off all draws and bottles, $3.50 well drinks, $5 8-inch one topping pizzas, half off select appetizers like fried pickles and sweet potato fries, and $3.50 wine by the glass. Daily specials include a Bloody Mary bar Sundays, Tuesday Pint Night and Tavern Trivia and Whiskey Wednesday.

The interior of Dudley’s is pretty straight forward. Sports bar feel in the bar area with tons of big screen tvs and pool tables; quieter in the dining room area. Nice selection at the bar and a patio for you to enjoy your pizza while people watching Aksarben Village goers.

I’ll let you in on a secret. I am a glutton for punishment. I know I don’t like IPAs but I keep trying to find one to change my mind. Deschutes’ Fresh Squeezed IPA ($4.85 for a 16 oz -- 6.4% ABV) did not do the trick. It was more citrusy than hoppy to my bartenders credit, but I just couldn’t do it. Thankfully she let me get another beer and didn’t charge me for the approximately six sips I took.


Boulevard’s Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale was a bit more my speed ($5.15 for a 12 oz -- 8.5% ABV). I enjoyed the citrusy grapefruit notes despite not likely actual grapefruits and the dry finish complemented the food I ordered.


I love Dudley’s pizza so I ordered an 8 inch sausage and black olive pizza ($5.75 -- additional toppings are 75 cents each). Generally I hate pizza crust but Dudley’s apparently has the magic formula that makes me eat it. Try it with the honey they leave on the table -- definitely a treat. Sometimes there’s too much cornmeal dusted on top but nothing a quick brush or shake wouldn’t fix. In the running for best personal pizzas in Omaha.


I also ordered the bacon-cheddar-loaded sticks ($4: “breadsticks” stuffed with hickory-smoked bacon, Dudley’s freshly grated cheese blend, topped with green onions and sharp Wisconsin cheddar. Served with ranch and classic red sauce). A cross between a loaf of bread and breadsticks, I expected a bit more bacon and cheese. Same dough they use for their pizzas but without the cheese and sauce, it was a bit lacking for me.


I give Dudley’s 2.5 smiles. Love their pizza but after trying two or three other menu items the pizza may be the only thing that brings me back. Would like a bigger beer selection, but thoroughly enjoy the environment and location.

No comments:

Post a Comment