Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (VillagePoint)

Located in VillagePoint, Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (17415 Chicago Street, Omaha) offers Rustic American food to enjoy while catching up with friends or colleagues. Happy Hour is from 4 pm to 6:30 pm Monday through Friday in the FIREBAR and on their impressive patio. Specials include bar bites such as crispy mahi tacos and tenderloin sliders, $2 off draft beer, $4 well drinks and $5 FIREBAR signature martinis, margaritas, cocktails and select glasses of wine. Some of their signature drinks are seasonal so expect great, fresh flavors.

The FIREBAR’s interior is a little dark. Lots of wood paneling, a pretty sturdy fully stocked bar and impressive fireplace make it feel cozy and warm. The patio is very open, perfect for the summertime as it faces away from the freeway. Worth the jaunt out to VillagePoint.

I ordered a Blood Orange Negroni ($5: Bluecoat American Gin, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur, Aperol and Carpano Sweet Vermouth) which the bartender warned was very strong (more accurately he skeptically asked if I liked strong drinks, because 5’3 140lb women can’t possibly want strong drinks. Insert side eye). Again this signature drink was a seasonal selection, so the blood orange liqueur was a great addition to this negroni (pretend we are in California). I’m more of a whiskey/bourbon girl but this drink slightly converted my stance on gin. Would have liked a touch more Aperol but overall, a great choice.


For my first bar bite I ordered the pretzels and Samuel Adams beer cheese ($5). I’m not crazy about pretzels in general but I love beer cheese. This particular dish inspired the opposite feelings. I really liked how soft these pretzels were and they were a good size. They also weren't drowned in salt. I didn't really like the beer cheese. It gave me a weird aftertaste, but I’m also not crazy about Sam Adams as a standalone beer.


Next were the Cajun BBQ shrimp ($6). These were huge and you get six of them so definitely worth the price. Super juicy as well. The BBQ sauce had a bit of kick to it, would have liked a bit more as it was “Cajun” BBQ. The toast that accompanies it was so delicious by itself, I almost wanted to ask for more.


I give Firebirds 5 smiles. They had a great variety of drinks and I love the seasonal component to many of them. The shrimp were delicious and I love their patio. I excuse the beer cheese since I’m not a Sam Adams lover, someone else may find this delicious. Next time you get off a bit early during the week, consider heading out West for a phenomenal happy hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment